<< Go Back up to Region ‘Texas’

Follow Mike Hume’s Historic Theatre Photography: Follow Historic Theatre Photos on Instagram Follow Historic Theatre Photos on Facebook Follow Historic Theatre Photos on Twitter
Paramount Theatre, Austin

Paramount Theatre, Austin

Former Names: Majestic Theatre

Website: https://www.austintheatre.org/ Open website in new window

Telephone: (512) 472-5470 Call (512) 472-5470

Address: 713 Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78701 Show address in Google Maps (new window)

 Featured Photos

 Overview

The Paramount Theatre opened in October 1915 as the Majestic Theatre, designed as a vaudeville house. It was one of the early theatre designs by noted Chicago theatre architect John Eberson, who would go on to become most associated with his concept of “atmospheric” theatres throughout the United States. Eberson designed over 1,200 theatres however only around 25 survive to this day.

The Paramount was built by Ernest Nalle, son of John Nalle who served as Austin’s Mayor from 1887 to 1889. Ernest dedicated the theatre to his father, and his father’s name is inscribed above the central window of the theatre’s façade.

Construction was completed in just eight months at a cost of $150,000, and the theatre accommodated 1,316 patrons at the time of opening. The auditorium was designed in Classical Revival style on two levels. The theatre’s current outer lobby was originally an outdoor breezeway with central box office / ticket booth and vendors on either side.

On the vaudeville circuit of 1921 you would get a local orchestra of seven instruments (Piano, Violin, Cornet, Trombone, Drums, Clarionette, Organ) under the control of conductor Mrs. C. E. Mick. The organ was an Estey Pipe Organ opus 1378, according to the Cinema Treasures website Link opens in new window, with the console in the House Left side of the Orchestra Pit. The Orchestra Pit was, and still is, just 21 inches lower than the main House floor level.

In a bid to compete with new and upcoming movie theatres, in 1929 the Interstate Theatre Circuit updated the theatre with a Baroque Revival refresh. Upholstered seats replaced wooden benches; a state-of-the-art sound system and air conditioning was installed, and the auditorium boxes were removed as the sightlines were considered poor for viewing movies. Around this time the mural of St Cecilia, patron saint of musicians, artists, and thieves, was painted in the central medallion of the proscenium’s sounding board. The theatre had essentially converted into a grand movie palace and started showing silent movies accompanied by a live orchestra or by the theatre’s organ.

During the 1929 renovation the outdoor breezeway area was enclosed, concession bars replaced the vendor areas, and wall-to-wall carpeting replaced the Spanish tile floor. At the same time the inner lobby was updated in Baroque Revival style. Mirrored walls were later added to the inner lobby, which honor major donors and sponsors of the theatre.

Paramount-Publix purchased the theatre in 1930 and changed the name to the Paramount Theatre, starting the theatre’s reign as Austin’s main first-run movie palace. Paramount erected the theatre’s iconic blade sign in 1930. When the theatre re-opened after renovation, the remodel had cost almost as much as the original building. At the time the Film Daily Yearbook reported the theatre’s capacity as 1,200.

In 1934 the Paramount became the first theatre in Texas to be equipped with “Wide Range”, a new sound technology from Western Electric Sound, and in the same year the theatre’s seating capacity increased to 1,421.

Throughout the 1930s and 1940s the Paramount continued to exhibit first-run films, often combined with live performances or on-stage appearances from stars such as Helen Hayes and Orson Welles.

By the late 1960s the theatre had fallen on hard times and ran as a B-movie house. By the mid 1970s, downtown Austin’s near-weekly murders had turned the area into a ghost town after 5:30pm. Making matters worse, the Paramount’s owners, ABC Interstate Theatres, had given up on repairs, instead waiting out the days until the theatre closed. Already slated to become a Holiday Inn, the Paramount’s fate was all but sealed.

In 1974 John Bernadoni, Charles Eckerman, and Stephen Scott descended on the Paramount, inspired by previous grand ideas to resurrect live performances in historic theatres and determined to rescue the Paramount from demolition. Bernadoni noted in a 2015 interview that a 1970s screening of “A Clockwork Orange” at the Pacifica Theatre in Los Angeles was a specific driver for the revival efforts at the Paramount.

A non-profit organization called The Paramount Theatre for the Performing Arts was established in 1975, enabling a much-needed federal grant to anchor the restoration funding, and paving the way for the theatre’s landmarking on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.

Bernadoni, Eckerman, and Scott rediscovered the theatre’s original fire curtain in 1974. Having not been lowered in 50 years and thus protected from light and other potentially damaging elements, the 1907 curtain, manufactured in St Louis and depicting a colorful pastoral scene flanked by drapes, was found to be in pristine condition. It is one of the oldest operating fire curtains in the United States.

Following a test performance of Dave Brubeck and Sons on 2nd Feb 1975, the co-founders signed a lease and worked-out a summer film series which has now been running for over forty years.

The last significant restoration of the Paramount took place in 1979-80. A major feature of the restoration was the recreation of the 1920s “opera” boxes, which are now reserved for VIP experiences.

Not long after the theatre’s renovation was completed, the Paramount Theatre took a leap in a new direction with the in-house production of its own traveling shows, including the first national tour ever produced by a regional theatre. Starting with the November 1982 production of “Deathtrap” starring Leslie Nielsen, the theatre developed a series of well-received shows which were cast with esteemed actors, including E. G. Marshall in “Mass Appeal” and Martin Landau in “Dracula”. The Paramount’s biggest onstage success came with “Greater Tuna”, the humorous look at multiple characters from small-town Texas – including a UFOlogist, a used weapons dealer, and DJ’s from local radio station “OKKK”, all played by Jaston Williams and Joe Sears. The play debuted in Austin and premiered at the Paramount shortly after completing its off-Broadway run. Outselling all non-sporting entertainment in town, Tuna’s success led to sequels and a devoted local following.

In the late 1990s merger talks began with the State Theatre just steps up the street from the Paramount. In 2000 the Austin Theatre Alliance Link opens in new window was formed to jointly manage the two venues.

The Paramount Theatre has presented numerous world movie premieres independently and continues to do so in partnership with the Austin Film Society Link opens in new window and festivals such as South by Southwest Link opens in new window and the Austin Film Festival Link opens in new window. The theatre is programmed for over 250 performances per year during which time approaching half a million patrons visit the theatre.

The original blade sign was erected in 1930 when the theatre became a Paramount-Publix theatre. At the time it was described by the Austin American-Statesman as “a huge sign, more than 75 feet high [from the sidewalk], topped with a brilliant sunburst”. In November 1963 the Austin American-Statesman reported that the theatre’s façade, including the sign, was to undergo renovation: “The theater’s familiar vertical sign, something of a Congress Avenue landmark, will be re-lamped and renovated, but its appearance will be kept the same in deference to tradition”. The sign was removed sometime between November 1963 and August 1964, however was mysteriously lost. No architectural drawings or engineering plans of the original sign have ever been found.

In readiness for the theatre’s centennial in 2015, a 47ft-high replica blade sign was commissioned from Wagner Sign Company in Elyria, Ohio Link opens in new window, constructed according to photographs of the original. Most photographs of the original sign were black-and-white, however archive color video held by the Texas Archive of the Moving Image Link opens in new window revealed that the blade sign was green with a yellow/white border and predominantly red sunburst at the top.

The sign’s 1,386 lamps are now LED with power consumption coming in at under 20 amps, and the sign’s lightweight low-voltage electrical wiring and aluminum construction have resulted in lower loads, both electrically and physically.

Following discovery of footage featuring the original sign in a video of Lyndon B. Johnson’s parade down Congress St in 1962, the sign’s original animation has been replicated to chase and spell out the word “Paramount”, identical to its original 1930s animation. The blade sign was re-lit on 23rd September 2015.

On the proscenium’s sounding board, just to house left of the central medallion featuring St Cecilia, there is a small hole. This is known as the “Houdini Hole”, having been allegedly created by the great magician’s crew for rope and rigging required for one of Houdini’s tricks. Houdini historians know he only performed two tricks, both escapes, during his eight-day visit to the Paramount in 1916 so it is more likely the hole was created by one of his contemporaries, probably Harry Blackstone who performed at the Paramount on numerous occasions.

The Paramount is a rare example of a fully operational hemp house, with the only counterweight pipes being the four main electrics bars. Dressing Rooms are located under the stage, and tradition has it that visiting companies sign the Dressing Room corridor walls to record their time at the Paramount Theatre. Current seating capacity is 1,273.

 Movie, TV & Music Video Appearances

Movies

Television

 Video from my YouTube channel:

 How do I visit the Paramount Theatre?

As of mid-2018 the Paramount Theatre does not offer regularly-scheduled tours. Check out the many and varied events running at the Paramount on the theatre’s website Link opens in new window which includes a calendar of events and online booking.

Upcoming Special Events
Anniversary Gala 2019

Anniversary Gala 2019 (11th May 2019, 7pm)

To celebrate the 104th year of the historic Paramount Theatre, we’re enlisting the wild energy of The World’s Greatest Party Band to convert Congress Avenue into the biggest “love shack” of all time. We’re thrilled to join our Board of Directors in announcing the 2019 Anniversary Gala will feature The B-52s!

With a vintage 1960s theme, this electric evening will highlight amazing music, nonstop dancing, incredible food, and essential community support. And, to keep the party going into the night, we’ll also feature Skyrocket! in the after-party tent – plus more to come!

For more info see: http://www.austintheatre.org/paramount-gala-2019/ Link opens in new window

 Further Reading

Online

Books

 Technical Information

Flying System
System Type Hemp House with 26 linesets (4-line) operated from SR Fly Floor
Electrics 4 dedicated pipes, single-purchase counterweight, operated from SR Fly Floor with out-trim limit of 32ft from Stage floor
Fly Floor Stage Right; 15ft 2in above Stage floor
Grid Height 54ft 6in to Grid floor
Pipe Length 42ft
Lighting
Control ETC Congo with 12 DMX universes
Dimmers 156 ways of ETC Sensor dimming
Followspots 2 @ 1.6kW Super Troupers (circa 1976)
Movie Projection
Digital Cinema Projector Christie CP2220 (3kW Xenon)
Film Projectors 35/70mm Century JJ Projectors w/ mag heads for 70mm and 35mm magnetic prints
Audio Processing Dolby CP-650
Projection Booth throw 120ft at 21-degree rake
Screen 4ft 11in upstage of Proscenium with motorized border and manual side legs (32ft 6in by 17ft 6in unmasked)
Stage Dimensions
Apron Depth 2ft 10in
Proscenium Height 19ft to arch, 25ft 7in at center
Proscenium Width 33ft
Stage Depth 31ft 6in
Stage Width 56ft 6in
Wing Space 12ft from Proscenium on both sides
Historic Photos & Documents

Historic files shown here may be subject to copyright; review our “Fair Use” statement here.

 Photos of the Paramount Theatre

Auditorium - Balcony

Designed by John Eberson, who would later become famous for his atmospheric theatres throughout the United States, the Paramount is one of the few theatres to still retain its original 1915 design and Eberson charm.

The hole in the Proscenium sounding board, just to the left of the painting of St Cecilia, is called the “Houndini Hole”, and was allegedly created by the master magician’s stage crew for a trick during his eight-day visit to the theatre in 1915. However, Houdini historians have debunked this as a myth and attribute its creation to one of Houdini’s contemporaries.


Auditorium - Boxes

The Paramount’s Opera Boxes were removed in the 1930s but thankfully restored to the same design in the late 1970s/80s.


Auditorium - Orchestra

The Paramount’s fire curtain, featuring a colorful pastoral scene, was rediscovered in the 1970s having lain dormant for over 50 years. It is one of the oldest operating fire curatins in the United States.


Backstage

The Paramount is one of the few remaining “hemp houses” in the United States. A hemp house is a theatre which moves scenery and backdrops using ropes and sandbag counterweights, as opposed to theatres which use dedicated counterweight systems and steel wires to move scenery. Working a hemp house requires more experience and understanding of the forces and variables at play so as to keep everything safe for everyone on the stage below.

Instituted in the 1990s, the theatre now asks every visiting production to memorialize their time at the Pararmount by signing the stage basement Dressing Room walls. We feature a couple of the more prominent signatures here for your enjoyment.


Exterior

The Paramount Theatre’s iconic blade sign was restored for the theatre’s centenary celebrations in 2015. Having mysteriously disappeared when it was removed for restoration in the mid 1960s, 2015 marked a welcome return of the sign to the Paramount.


Lobbies

The outer lobby was originally open to the street, only later being enclosed behind doors with theatre-owned vendor stands flanking either side of the box office. The interior lobby was revamped to include a mirrored wall recognizing donors and sponsors of the theatre. The upstairs lobbies feature theatre history and give way to the Houdini Lounge, an ever-changing events space designed to welcome patrons with a new experience every time they visit the Paramount.


Loft

The loft is located directly behind the Projection Booth and is used to store old and outdated equipment. Note the sloping roof with can be seen in photos of the theatre’s façade.


Projection Booth

The Projection Booth facilities include dual 35mm film projectors, a 3 killowatt Digital Cinema Projector, and two Super Trouper xenon followspots.


All photographs copyright © 2002-2018 Mike Hume/historictheatrephotos.com. For licensing and/or re-use contact me here.



Follow Mike Hume’s Historic Theatre Photography: Follow Historic Theatre Photos on Instagram Follow Historic Theatre Photos on Facebook Follow Historic Theatre Photos on Twitter